Saturday, March 19, 2016

How to Draw Dragon Wings

Hey Everyone!

I draw dragon wings constantly while I'm doodling or making up characters so here is a lesson on how to draw a basic wing.

1. Basic Outline
   Here I have drawn just the outline of the wing. I put the small horn on the top of the wing where the joint is. Sometimes I put that there and sometimes I leave it out. This wing has not been completely stretched out. That is why it overlaps a little at the end. This will help make the wing not look flat.

2. The Bones in the Wing

   Now I have added the bones. Each bone starts at the joint where I put the horn and goes down to a point on the edge of the wing. I made the bones look a little bent in the middle. This is where a small joint would be that makes the wings more flexible and gives them the feeling like they could really push through air.
   The section of the wing where the bone would meet the body of the dragon, needs to be thicker than the other bones. Make it look like it has more muscle behind it. The one I have drawn is not much bigger, but for a larger, more powerful dragon you might want to make that thicker.

3. The Shading

   Now for the shading. This is what adds depth. Since this dragon wing is not fully stretched, the membrane (or skin, not sure what to call it) between the bones would be looser. The light in this picture is coming from the right. Since the membrane between the bones would be looser, part of it would be missing the light. The part of the wing the light would be hitting would be what is the closest to the bone on the left, even though the light is coming from the right
   The part of the wing that seems to be overlapping I left lighter so it would not blend in too much with the rest of the wing.
   Now the wing is complete!

Bible Verse:
But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31



No comments:

Post a Comment